Monday, February 3, 2014

faux barnwood baseboards ~

We got the keys to the new storefront on Saturday, so since then, we've started a dozen or so projects to get the space all spiffied up!  My big project yesterday was staining boards that we'll be using as our baseboards.  I thought I'd share the technique I used to get a faux barnwood look with cheap pine boards and a variety of MinWax stains.  {Please note that I am not an expert in this!  Just a girl playing around with stain, and the help of the awesome paint girls at our local Home Depot - thank you Hillary and Erica!}

Also, Mick took several of these pics as I was working, so they are action shots and a tad fuzzy, but you'll get the drift, so here goes.

First, we bought all of our stock 1" x 6" boards at Home Depot.  I made special effort to look for the gnarliest boards I could find.  Knots, graining, texture, even divots and cracks appealed to me.  I did, however, veer away from any that were overly warped.  A good example is shown below.  This board had tons of graining to it and a huge chunk missing from the top.  Most would think that was a bad thing, but in the case of old barnwood, it's perfect!


I played around with several stains and combinations before settling on the following three stains:
Special Walnut
Ebony
Classic Grey

You'll want to wear old clothes, latex gloves and a respirator for this.  Also, protect your work area floors because you will splatter.  I placed my boards on sawhorses to save my back from a horrible ache the next day.

First step, use a rag to apply Special Walnut over the entire board.  This is your base coat and gives some warmth to the undercoat.



Next, use a cheap 79 cent chipboard brush to apply Ebony stain over the Special Walnut.  Do not wait for the Special Walnut to dry.  Work in sections, brush the Ebony on and immediately wipe it off with a rag.  You may even mottle it a little bit by blotting your rag to create areas with more black than others.  You will throw this brush away, so no need for an expensive brush.  But you do need the bristles to create even more texture.


 This is how I brushed it on.............



And then, I wiped it off..............
 

See how it really darkens up in some spots............
 

 Now some of you might quit after the black was applied, but I really wanted some grey tones mixed in.  I wanted the wood to look kind of weathered, so I settled on a third stain to apply last, Classic Grey.


 I applied Classic Grey with a rag right over the other two stains while still wet.  It helps to work it all together.  The Classic Grey looks very blue in fluorescent lighting, so mixing it with the other colors really helped to tone that down.  Apply Classic Grey with a rag..............



And then use another rag to wipe it off and mottle it down...........
 

And there you go............that Classic grey adds just the right amount of "weathered" to it!


Here's another pic of two raw pine boards that I started with:


And the finished product..................


Isn't it cool how all the knots and imperfections really stand out?
 

I love how they turned out and can't wait to see them as our new baseboards!

I hope this is helpful for you.

~ vintage love ~

Polly

5 comments:

Junkchiccottage said...

Polly,
These look great and I know will look awesome in the shop. So excited for you.
Kris

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

BASEBOARDS, LOVE IT !!!!!!!! You are so creative and talented !
Big hugs !!
janet

Robin Johnson said...

Love this idea. They are going to look fabulous installed. Your so smart!

must love junk said...

Love them! Can't wait to see more :)
Susan

Lili said...

They turned out perfect! Love this idea Polly! xo

Post a Comment