Thursday, June 27, 2013

SMILE banner tutorial ~


 Today I thought I'd share how I made a cute SMILE banner using my locally cut birch wood banners and letters.  They are so easy to embellish with scrapbook paper!

You'll need:

birch flags
birch letters
scrapbook paper
other embellishments that you desire
glue stick
ribbon
scissors
hole punch
pencil

I chose this cute aqua chevron paper from Archiver's as well as some metallic gold borders, because who doesn't love a little bling?!?!
 

 First, you'll trace your birch flag triangles on your scrapbook paper.  Once traced, cut them out.


To line up the holes on the birch flags, I just placed the paper triangle on top of the wooden triangle and placed a pencil mark above each hole.


 Then I just used a hole punch over those pencil marks.


Next I used a glue stick to attach the paper triangles to the wood triangles.
 


You'll have 5 sturdy triangle flags!
 For my little bit of bling, I had to cut the gold borders to fit.  I laid it over top of each flag and eyeballed where it would look best.


 Then I carefully flipped it over just holding it in place and trying to make sure it didn't slip while I was flipping it!


 Once it was flipped over, I used a pencil to mark where the edges of the flag would be.  Then all I had to do was cut the gold border where the pencil marks were.


 At this point, I used the glue stick to attach the gold border to the flag and I used superglue to attach the birch letter to each flag. 

 Then it's time for ribbon.  I strung my flags onto the coordinating ribbon I chose.  I've found that thicker ribbon works best.


 And there you have it!  All done!!


The wooden flags and letters are sturdy and strong so this banner will last a while.  The sky is the limit with the embellishments!

I sell the birch letters and flags here at the shop.

Thanks for stopping by, hope you enjoyed this little craft session!

~ vintage love ~

Polly

1 comments:

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

Your sweet banner put a SMILE on my face !!

Hugs
Janet


Post a Comment