Friday, June 7, 2013

painted encyclopedias ~

One of my favorite blogs is Jennifer Rizzo.  I always enjoy her posts and seeing what she's up to!  She has a sweet vintage eclectic style that I find myself very drawn to.  In October of last year, Jennifer did a post showing how she painted and aged some old encyclopedias.  I absolutely loved the look she created and tucked that image into a nook of my brain for hopeful future reference.

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Robin stopped into the shop lugging an armful of heavy old encyclopedias.  She asked if I wanted them.  At first, I was like "what am I going to do with them" then my brain kicked into high gear and that image from Jen's blog from way back when inched its way forward.  I told Robin, hold on a minute, let me google something!  Within a few minutes, I had found this image from Jen's blog post:


So, needless to say, I was immediately inspired to recycle Robin's old encyclopedias if she was ok with it.  She said "go for it" and "make a stack for me!"

I used Jen's instructions and techniques and thought I would share how mine turned out!

I started with a huge stack of vintage encyclopedias that looked like this.  Robin's husband Dick told me he remembers paying $5k for the complete set from a door to door salesman back in the 70's!  


 I set about to start painting them on my kitchen counter.  I laid out a plastic dropcloth and just started slathering some Behr Pure White latex paint.  It took two coats.


 Next, I added a layer of glaze.  It really made the embossing start to show.


Then I used my vintage stamps to add numbers to the sides.



 I love how they turned out, so perfectly imperfect and all old world like.


 I played around with the middle one by dry brushing some white paint over top of the glaze.  I like how it lightened it up a bit.  Just playing around with different techniques.  That's half the fun!  Seeing what you can come up with!

 

 I was able to complete 8 of them during this first batch.  5 for Robin and 3 for a display in my shop!
Just 50 or so to go!  Haha!!  There's a lot of encyclopedias in a set!!



Thank you Jennifer Rizzo for the idea and inspiration!  Fun project!  And what a great way 
to breath new life into those "dinosaur" encyclopedias!

~ vintage love ~

Polly

3 comments:

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Fun project Polly. They look so nice in your shop.

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

What a great idea !!

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

I'm never going to pass by a stack of books again!
Looks great!

Post a Comment