Sunday, May 12, 2013

Happy Mother's Day ~

A Happy Mother's Day to every Mom out there!

This is my second Mother's Day without my Mom.  A very difficult day of the year for me.  We always spent Mother's Day at her house planting flowers and filling her flower pots.  Steaks on the grill and always a DQ ice cream cake, as it was her favorite.

My Mom was a creative farmgirl.  She grew up milking cows, gathering eggs, sewing, baking and creating.  She was Miss Pleasantville in high school and was known to win an award or two for the clothing she created for 4H.


As a child, my Mom got my love started for all things DIY.  We yard saled, antiqued, and auctioned on a normal basis.  She taught me to reupholster, to paint furniture, to save things that someone else might just look past.  We crafted like crazy.  When I was bored, she'd send me outside to gather up little bits of nature then she'd give me some paper and glue and have me make art out of what I had collected.  She taught me to roll up magazine pages into tubes and glue them to cans and round bins to create funky holders, totally 70's style!  We did decals and stencils.  We scrapbooked.  

She loved to cook.  She baked, canned, and rarely used a recipe.  She just whipped up the most delicious home cooked food by memory.  Unfortunately, I didn't inherit her love for cooking, but I am trying.  Sometimes I phone my Mom's sister to get insight on one of their family recipes that I'm trying to replicate.  One of the things I miss most is her homemade noodles.

My Mom had a HUGE vegetable garden when I was kid.  Tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, corn, onions, kohlrabi, peas, cucumbers with majestic sunflowers gracing the far North edge of the garden.  I loved that place high on the hill behind the house.  I learned about plants and bugs and canning during those years.

And animals were an integral part of our lives out in the country.  We took them all in.  We had oodles of outdoor cats and of course, always an indoor dog which was always a mutt, generally the runt of the litter.  My Mom showered love on the poor old dog that noone else wanted.  She even let me catch tadpoles and keep them in a big washtub.  We had bunnies that I named Johnny Bench and Mary.

In her own way, my Mom continued to take care of me until the end.  She couldn't walk and was so very weak, but she could listen and smile and let me know everything was going to be alright.  I knew that I would make it through today when, at 11:11 this morning, I happened to look at my phone and those numbers were staring back at me.  11/11 is my birthday.  My Mom was saying hi to me, I just know it.

My Mom often told me that she just wanted to be free of her pain, she wanted to walk again.  With every ounce of myself, I know that she's not only walking, but running and dancing!

 ~ all my love to my Mom today and every day ~

Polly


"Mother love is the fuel that enables a normal human being to do the impossible."
 ~Marion C. Garretty







4 comments:

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

What wonderful memories of your Mom !
May they fill your heart with joy !
Hugs
Janet

Solange Hooks said...

Your mom was a rock star! Her legend lives on, in you! I love how you can get the little messages she sends you. God Bless you Polly! (((HUGS)))

solange

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

That was a wonderful tribute to your Mom, Polly. She sounded like a very special person, I am sure she was because even though we have only met a few times, I can tell that you are very special too and who you are... was a big part of her! ~Hugs, Patti

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

You were truly blessed to have a Mother full of so much inspiration and teaching. She sounds lovely! She helped make you the awesome girl that you are. Love your post, and story, and the 11:11. I hope you planted some flowers and still maybe enjoyed some BR cake.

Post a Comment