Tuesday, April 30, 2013

dining room changes ~



 Over the past couple of years, I have slowly but surely been taking my home decor in the direction of french farmhouse with a modern touch here and there.  I want that farmhouse look with feminine and modern undertones.  I also want very little color.  Sometimes I veer off my design path and try colorful things around my house and in the end, I don't like it for very long.  I live with it for a while, but then it bores me.  The classic look of muted tones, white, and farmhouse never bores me.  It just feels right and comfortable to us.

I have added a few things to my dining room recently, so I thought I would share how it's all coming together.

New rug from Garden Ridge, just $100.  It is not the highest quality, but it is exactly what I wanted and online, I was going to spend closer to $1000.  Rugs get trashed in our house because we have pets, so it just doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on a rug.  This rug is soft grey and bright white in a trellis design. 


 I am hoping those wrinkles work themselves out over time.  I also added the two french chairs on each end of table.  I used to have metal industrial chairs there which I loved, but I parted with them when I found these at TJ Maxx the day after Christmas.  I used my Christmas money to purchase them.  {thanks Carol and Alex!}


I have ALWAYS wanted a hutch for my dining room.  But I had never found the perfect one.  My criteria were:  vintage, pine, farmhouse style, storage, some open shelving, and tall.  As you can imagine, this was not an easy search.  But not too long ago, this beauty landed in my dining room.
 


 I could not be happier!  It is everything I wanted!  Actually, more.  It has cubbies!

 

 It was delivered a couple weeks ago, so I have been playing around with it since then.  Adding things, taking things away.  I knew it would house some of my ironstone and white dishes.  I absolutely love how the white looks against the raw pine.

 

 The bottom half has three openings and I wanted to find large greywashed baskets to set inside there.  No luck at Hobby Lobby or Michaels, but I found these at Garden Ridge yesterday, just $15 each.  I'm sure they will eventually be used for storage of some sort.
 


 

 


 

 Elsewhere in the room, I haven't done much.  I still have my favorite ruffled curtains from Big Lots and family heirlooms on display.


I decided to switch from tea lites to fresh white tulips for Spring in my antique bottle carrier centerpiece.  I placed a huge antique mirror under it.


Another new addition to the room is this vintage wine crate from France!  LOVE.  This treasure came from my friend Janet of Open Market Style.  Janet is the best picker ever..........she finds chippy, shabby, french style goods like no other!  I was honored when she said I could buy this from her.  I added some faux lavender and placed it on top of the hutch. 


So that's what I've been up to around home.  I have a few other things I'm looking for to help complete my french farmhouse look throughout my home.  I love that the search is always on looking for the perfect additions!


~ vintage love ~


20 comments:

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Your room looks beautiful Polly. Love all of your new pieces, and your rug is fantastic. I also don't like to spend much on rugs - yours has a lot of style for a small price.

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

Perfection !!!
Your new rug is wonderful !!
Looking at your amazing home makes me want to redo all of mine !!!
Enjoy this beautiful day !!!
Hugs
Janet

Cheryl @ Vintage Serenity said...

beautiful...you have the touch!!! AND...I love all the treasures that Janet finds too! Thanks for sharing:)

Debby said...

Very pretty Polly. Sorry I never made it to your Open House. I babysat til 7:30.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Polly, I love what you've done in your dining room. It looks wonderful!

Dropping by to visit from Becky's blog party. It's s nice to meet you, and I enjoyed what you shared with us today. Glad you got that hutch you were dreaming of for your dining room as well as the other pieces. Love the rug, and usually wrinkles do work themselves out. If not, steamers can help! :-)

XO,

Sheila

Junkchiccottage said...

Your dining room is gorgeous. So pretty.
Kris

Suzanne Vincent said...

Polly, the room is beautiful! I love the rug and its modern touch.

Jeanne Selep said...

Beautiful room and hutch! I have a hutch ("welsh dresser") also. THe funnest part of using your hutch is decorating it seasonally as well - and with the white dishes you can do that by just adding accent pieces and colors. Check out my hutch

http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2013/04/spring-hutch-arrangement.html

must love junk said...

That hutch is AMAZING! It looks perfect there and I love how you have it styled!
Susan

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

LOVE this room Polly...you've styled it beautifully!

Nicole@nicole-southerncharm.com/ said...

I love your room! This looks amazing! I am a new follower from southern charm! I would love for you to check out my blog and follow me back

Debra Oliver said...

Hi Polly!! wow, girl, this is fabulous!! LOVE that hutch and all your accessories! I'll be featuring your post on Be Inspired tomorrow. so glad you linked up!

Melissa@daisymaebelle.com said...

Such a totally beautiful room! LOVE that hutch! Life to the full! Melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Polly,
Your dining room looks OUTSTANDING!!! Love that $100 rug...gotta pass this info onto my daughter.

Blessings,
Linda

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Your space is beautiful! I love the hutch and I'm especially inspired by the lovely ironstone pieces and the different end chairs. I found my way here from Common Ground and I'm now following along.

Teresa said...

Hello Polly, I love what you are doing in your dining room, it looks so relaxed and lovely. I just became your newest follower. Stop by and say hi when you have the chance.

Blessings,
Teresa

Stacey said...

Love this light bright space. :)

Diane said...

Love, Love, Love your dining room! I have been looking for a hutch like that for ages. Would you mind telling me where you found it?

Pam said...

The rug is amazing! I haven't been to Garden Ridge in ages and I may just have to make a trip over there. Congrats on the feature over at Debra's!

Jennifer S said...

beautiful!

Post a Comment