Saturday, February 16, 2013

Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint {first try} ~

I recently started living on the edge.

You see I've always been a latex girl.  Good old latex paint was my tried and true.

I have done some experimenting with homemade chalk paint and that was kind of fun.

But, I really got crazy when I decided to whip up a batch of Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint last week.  I had had that daunting little box of powder and wax since October.  I put it on a shelf in the laundry room and it laughed at me every time I walked past it.  I was too scared to try it and I think it could sense my trepidation and lack of confidence in trying something new.  Especially after having watched all of her videos in which she clearly states that this paint is very random in its outcomes and probably not a good choice for "control freaks" {which I might be a little bit of one}.

 After some gentle encouragement from a fellow shop owner who sells Miss Mustard Seed's products, I decided to go for it.

 

 So I mixed up a little batch of this interesting concoction.  I stirred and stirred and stirred.  I never did get all the clumps out.  I ended up with a milky watery substance with chunks of pigment pooling at the bottom of my cup.  But I was comforted by Miss Mustard Seed's video when she stated those little clumps would probably work themselves out while being brushed on.


 

 After two coats of the "paint", I thought I had made a terrible mistake and that this dresser was a goner.  So what's a girl to do at this point?  I watched the videos by Miss Mustard Seed AGAIN.  

By the way, I put "paint" in parentheses because I feel like it's a bit of a misnomer.  In my opinion, it's more of a stain with opaque properties.

At that point, I decided to take a deep breath and just go with it.







I did not experience any flaking of the paint.  It went on smooth and thin.  The original finish on this piece was pretty shiny so I thought I'd get some good flaking.  I got none.  

So after three coats, I decided to go at it with a sanding sponge and screwdriver in the little details and grooves.  It distressed easily and created a wonderfully worn finish that I ended up LOVING!

Funny how things work out.

So here she is all styled up at the shop as of this morning..............


 I tried to keep her.  I tried hard.  She resided in several locations in my home before coming to the shop today.  We have so many lovely heirloom pieces in my home from my parents that I just don't have another inch for any new pieces.  So she is up for adoption to a good home!

Sorry, she's SOLD!

Lessons learned from this experience include:

just go for it
sometimes ya just gotta breathe and believe everything is going to be alright
be patient
don't give up
don't sweat the small stuff

~ vintage love ~

Polly

linking up to:
Jennifer Rizzo


8 comments:

Art and Sand said...

I don't think I could put that much time into a piece and then sell it. But then again, I used to sew for a decorator. I would put hours into beautiful comforters, bed skirts, shams and curtains...and then they were gone. Nowadays I just do for me - that sounds so selfish.

Your piece is lovely.

Kate said...

Oh Polly
Im inspired by your post. I have yet to try the paint but I did get me some wax and I loved it

Hope you are well sweet friend

xoxo
Kate

Solange Hooks said...

Adorable! I love the finish result!!

must love junk said...

Polly, I love your lessons learned, and I love how the piece turned out! Great job! :)
Susan

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

Dear Polly the dresser looks wonderful sure she will not last long all fancied up !
Hugs
Janet

The Cranky Queen said...

Well.... You did well from one "Anal Annie" to another! LOL I am your newest follower. Love the white distressed piece! Great bunny perched on top as well... My castle doors r always open at " the royal blog " for browsing! Tiffany

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

It looks great Polly!
I haven't tried it yet...maybe after the white show!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Your painting turned out so well, and it sure sold quickly. It is a really nice piece of furniture. It can be so intimidating to try something new. Do you think you will use this paint again?

Post a Comment