Thursday, December 20, 2012

My Christmas kitchen ~


 Good morning!  I have taken a few days away from posting here and on Facebook quite honestly because I have been feeling very out of sorts.  The holidays this year are bittersweet for me without my Mom and then last week's shooting rampage really sunk in for me on Sunday evening when the pictures of those sweet smiling innocent faces began gracing the airwaves.  My home felt most comforting to me the past few days.  I puttered around cleaning and keeping busy with Christmas decorating to keep my mind occupied.

Though decorating feels so trivial to me right now, I did snap a bunch of photos of my Christmas kitchen to share today.  Keeping with my simple, neutral Christmas theme, I moved things around and added a hint of the holidays here and there.  We are fortunate to have a big kitchen and this is where everyone gathers.  Over the years we've been in this house, I have searched out the perfect pieces to complete this space.  I think it's pretty much complete.  Not sure I have another inch to add anything!


 This is a shot of the full kitchen taken from the dining room.  That antique dresser was the first piece of old furniture my husband and I bought together.  I recently moved it to the end of my island for additional linen storage.  It works perfectly here and it's staying!

 I moved my old tool tote onto the dresser and added some peppermint sticks from the Dollar Tree for a slight pop of red.....

 



I keep my big jar filled with meringues from Trader Joes.  The others have more old fashioned peppermint sticks and white candy canes.


 I was so happy when I found this shelf that fits perfectly in this weird corner behind the breakfast bar.  More storage and display.  I stacked the 3 old trunks on my counter because the builder did not put cabinets in this corner of the breakfast bar, which in my opinion was a huge miss on their part.  Rather than spend the money to add cabinets, I just got creative by stacking the boxes.  I used them to store things I don't get to very often.

 

 Here's another view of that corner .........


 

 I have a myriad of various old industrial stools at my breakfast bar.  I just spray painted them all white to unite their look.

 


 

My mother-in-law got me this little guy last year for Christmas.  I just love his glittery goodness!

 

 This old bench belonged to my Mom.  I remember back in the 80's she traded an old Coke Tray for it and used it as her coffee table ever since.  She loved this bench, as do I.  It pairs perfectly with my subway art and a ruffled pillow from TJ Maxx.  I walk past it every day and think of my Mom.


 Last week my husband surprised me with these two big beautiful pink poinsettias they were selling for charity at his office.  I put them in a big tub and nestled one of my ruffled IKEA blankets inside.  Love the softness of the ruffles and flowers next to the rusty metal.  The ruffled curtains are from Target.



My old bakers rack houses all of my ironstone and little bits that I love.  Oh, and pup-pup is always close by!


I keep my simple wrapping papers handy in the kitchen year round.


These little french egg cups were a birthday gift from Mother-in-Law this past birthday in November.  Yes, she finds the best things!!   I fought for that ironstone cake plate at an auction last year.  I will never part with it!

  
Keeping my Christmas cards in this big old ironstone compote this year.....




 I have never had a live tree before, so this year I bought one of these little tabletop trees at Giant Eagle and nestled it into a galvanized bucket.  It smells divine!  I added a little Happy Holidays tag from Target at the top.


I thought I'd show this french towel that I found at a friend's yard sale last month.  It's the perfect addition to my oven bar.  Thanks Nichi!  I was so glad she told me to come to her sale!

Here's a shot from my sink.  I love Mrs. Meyer's products!


And one last shot of the whole room.....


Thanks for visiting my blog today!  Christmas is almost here, can you believe it?  I am wishing the most peaceful and sweet of holidays to each of you.  Be merry!

~ vintage love ~

Polly

linking up to:

19 comments:

Beth Rutter said...

So lovely. I know how holidays can be when you're missing loved ones, sending lots of comforting thoughts.

PS. The dresser is EXACTLY what I am looking for. Ironically the one I have that's like it is the first piece I bought, when I was 18.

Hope said...

So beautiful and inspiring!

Kelly said...

I have visited your shop and loved it, but now I want to shop your home! So many excellent pieces and sweet vignettes! Love your style!

Debby said...

It's beautiful Polly,but I'm not surprised you have a lovely style.
The shooting hit my heart hard as well. It was the names and the pictures and the fact I have 3 six year old grandchildren in first grade. Such hope lost so soon. And those heroic teachers......
So sorry about you mother, that has to be hard. The first holidays without or fathers were the hardest. We lost them within three months of each other. We still have our mothers, one in a nursing home and one that is non-stop.
Hoping your holidays will be peaceful. (((((HUGS)))))

Pam said...

So pretty. Those poinsettias are gorgeous! Believe it or not, with all my bold red and green in my house for Christmas, I don't like the regular poinsettias. Those I could learn to love!

Two Peas in a Pod Homegrown Designs said...

Polly you have the prettiest house! Merry Christmas friend!

Two Peas in a Pod Homegrown Designs said...

Polly you have the prettiest house! Merry Christmas friend!

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

Love it...so many sweet, warm touches. Have a lovely holiday!

chateau chic said...

You have a lovely kitchen! All your Christmas touches are charming. Trust you have a very Merry Christmas.
Mary Alice

City Farmhouse said...

Hi Polly, your kitchen is beautiful! I love all of your holiday touches! Warmest wishes to you & your family for a blessed Holiday! Jen

Janet- OPEN MARKET STYLE said...

Your home Polly is such a WONDERFUL reflection of you warm , inviting and beautiful !!
Hugs to you !!
Merry Christmas dear friend !!

Shannon Gabor said...

Everything looks so warm and inviting. May you find comfort in your family memories. Thinking of you this Christmas.

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Polly ~ your Christmas Kitchen is beautiful, so many little details, I'll have to go back and peek again!
I know what you mean being out of sorts, me too.
And my holidays aren't the same without my Mom too.
Sending you a hug!

ohiofarmgirl said...

I love your kitchen and the vintage look is just so perfect for it. It is very festive!!! Dianntha

shaggysheephome said...

I love how your house is not only beautiful but there is a story or memorie behind everything. Your personality shines through your decor! I have taken a break from blogs and Facebook as well. Im trying to recollect my thoughts and make sure my priorities are in the right place but honestly I get a little depressed during holidays so I find myself crawling into a cave and not socializing. I hope your spirits are lifted and you have a very merry Christmas.

Debra @ Common Ground said...

Hey Polly! LOVE that dresser at the end of your island, just perfect. You have a wonderful kitchen, so many great vintage touches. You were the top visited link last week at Vintage Inspiration!!

Elizabeth (Blue Clear Sky) said...

Your kitchen is lovely! So many great pieces (the dresser, bakers rack, counters etc.) and I love your collections. Wishing you all the best in 2013.

Becky C said...

I love your kitchen, Polly! We are vintage scale collectors...and I spotted that scale on your counter--fabulous :)
Have a wonderful new year!

Sarah said...

Enjoyed the tour of your kitchen. Your collection of white ironstone looks great sitting on the shelves of the bakers rack. Great piece!
Happy New Year to you........Sarah

Post a Comment