Tuesday, October 23, 2012

vintage french coffee table makeover ~

 Hello!

I came across this antique french coffee table recently, and even though, she had a pretty timeworn patina, she also had quite a bit of "seen better days" areas with pop can rings and chipping areas.  I decided to give her a facelift and give her a very aged old world french style look.

 

 Here is the before:

 

And during...........this is after 2 coats of homemade chalk paint.  I added 2 heaping tablespoons of plaster of paris to flat latex paint.  I also added some water.  It's kind of grainy and a bit of a weird consistency, but it does do what everyone says it does --------- stick!!  I did not sand or prime this piece first. 

Isn't it amazing the difference a little paint makes?!?!
 

 This homemade chalk paint has a very dry, grainy rough texture to it.  It absolutely needs an additional layer to complete the look.  I was going for a very authentic aged old world french look, so I decided to do a layer of stain over the paint.  Having never tried this technique before, I wasn't sure how the stain would adhere to such a dry flat base.  But I was pleasantly surprised with the end result. 


 The top of the table was leather and had a sweet embossed design around the edges.  The stain really helped to make that design stand out.  To do the stain, I used a clean soft cloth, dipped it into the stain and wiped it on going in long strokes.  I then used another cloth to wipe it off.  I wiped and wiped, added and wiped off, until I got the desired look.  I made sure I got it down into all the recesses and crevices to show off the details of the table.  I then added a layer of poly to seal and protect the finish.


 This girl has some great legs and the new finish really shows them off!


In these photos, she is staged in my home office in front of my vintage sofa.  I just wanted to give you an idea of what she can look like in a home setting.  But no worries, she is available for sale and will be at the Canal Winchester store on Wednesday!


I am really liking this new painting technique and am using it on a couple of cute shelves as well.  They are almost complete, so I will share them soon.  

~ vintage love ~

Polly

5 comments:

Crystal Rose Cottage said...

Love that table and how you made it over! I also am going to try the homemade chalk paint. It's too expensive to buy and ship when you don't live near a stockist. I have all the supplies but haven't had the time yet. It looks good in your office! ~Hugs, Patti

shaggysheephome said...

She is gorgeous. I always thought the French provincial furniture looks tacky in its original color with the gold trim but once it gets a coat of paint its the hottest thing! I have painted with home made chalk paint and its now my favorite paint.

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

That is very cool that you tried the homemade chalk paint, and it worked. The finish looks really nice - lots of nice patina to it!

Shannon Gabor said...

Wow, a whole new life to the poor table!

Katie said...

Great job you amaze me!!

Post a Comment