Monday, July 9, 2012

factory time card holder ~

Well here we are, at the beginning of a new week.  I, like the rest of you, have a million and one things swirling about my grey matter that needs to get accomplished this week.  Some MUST get accomplished while others SHOULD get done.  Wouldn't you know my first accomplishment of the week is a SHOULD and not a MUST?  I think the SHOULDS are usually a little more fun than the MUSTS!

We have this corner of counter space in our kitchen that is our dumping ground.  I've added baskets, a cute rosy pen holder and even a couple of thrifted IKEA drawers to try to keep things tidy, but it still ends up like this.

 

 papers, coupons, mail, business cards, notes, tape measures, receipts, to do lists, calenders, reminders......all piled up here next to my cooker.  uuuuuuggggggg!  so unsightly!

Earlier this summer, I happened upon a set of two factory age industrial time card holders.  The gentleman I purchased them from told me he worked for a local factory and when it closed down about 20 years ago, he was one of the final 5 workers still there.  He said they took everything that wasn't bolted down.  He'd had the time card holders sitting in a corner of his garage all these years.  I, of course, was drawn to their industrial look and utilitarian function.  Immediately, I knew someone would use them in their home as a mail sorter.  Silly me took both of them to my booth to sell without giving my own kitchen paper mess a second thought.  

Until last week when the lingering, nagging annoyance that is my kitchen paper mess had just about gotten the best of me.  While fluffing the booth, I realized one of them hadn't sold and maybe I should just take her home and give her a try.

 

 Only two of her original numbers remained, so we just duplicated the font and printed a new set of numbers on a brownish paper.  Cutting them was a bit tedious, but worth the effort.


Now we have 25 slots to organize incoming and outgoing mail, bills, empty envelopes and coupons.


This is the doorway to our laundry / mudroom / daily exit, so it should be easy to remember to grab the outgoing mail as we're leaving.  We'll see how it goes......

Hope you all have a good week!

~ keep dreaming ~

Polly

linking up to:



11 comments:

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Best wishes that it works. We have a counter in our kitchen too that multiplies messes like crazy! Because of our party it got cleared off - but I see the pile starting. Now it has 2 books I got for my birthday - a couple cards - a box, etc.

Rustic Anthology said...

This is amazing! I want it!

{found you on the bloghop and am a new follower! Great blog!}

Angie said...

I absolutely love old time card holders and have been on the lookout for one! Yours looks fantastic and that's a great new use for it.

Thanks for linking up at the Knick of Time Tuesday Blog Hop! Don't forget to come by later today for the 1st of my week-long giveaways!

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time

The Pickin' Pair said...

Wow I love this Idea! I too also love the industrial look of items. I am so going to search for one of these. There has to be more out thre...lol! Found you via a blog hop and am now a new follower!

mycreativelyvintagelife.com said...

Love Love anything that looks industrial and can be useful at the same time. Great way to use this. Found you from a blog hop. Am now a new follower!

chateau chic said...

What a great find and a fun way to help get organized. Love it!
I'm happy to be a new follower and hope you'll stop by, Mary Alice

Laurel@chippingwithcharm said...

Great idea...good luck, hope it works for you! I have a "clutter" spot like that too!!! Laurel

Angie said...

By the way - I'll be featuring you next week and there will be an "I Was Featured" button waiting at the party for you!

Blessings,
Angie @ Knick of Time

Polly said...

Wow! Angie, that's awesome! I'll be on the lookout! In advance, thank you so much!! Can't wait!!

Polly

Sandi~A Cottage Muse said...

This is a great idea (and looks fab too)!
Oh and for the little nightstand I did over...two coats of kilz, one coat of paint plus primer with a bit of wax...came out great!

Doreen said...

Hi Polly, GREAT timecard holder! Would love to have one of those. Vintage. Functional. Fun.
I'm a new follower, too!

Post a Comment